Good morning Beloved!
Here’s some traditional Christian humor for you today….I say traditional because in Unity there is no Satan.
Jesus and Satan were having an on-going argument about who was better on the computer. They had been going at it for days, and frankly God was tired of hearing all the bickering.
Finally fed up, God said, ‘THAT’S IT! I have had enough. I am going to set up a test that will run for two hours, and from those results, I will judge who does the better job.’
So Satan and Jesus sat down at the keyboards and typed away.
They moused. They faxed. They e-mailed. They e-mailed with attachments. They downloaded. They did spreadsheets. They wrote reports. They created labels and cards. They created charts and graphs.
They did some genealogy reports. They did every job known to man.
Jesus worked with heavenly efficiency and Satan was faster than hell.
Then, ten minutes before their time was up, lightning suddenly flashed across the sky, thunder rolled, rain poured, and, of course, the power went off.
Satan stared at his blank screen and screamed every curse word known in the underworld.
Jesus just sighed.
Finally the electricity came back on, and each of them restarted their computers. Satan started searching frantically, screaming:
‘It’s gone! It’s all GONE! ‘I lost everything when the power went out!’
Meanwhile, Jesus quietly started printing out all of his files from the past two hours of work.
Satan observed this and became irate.
‘Wait!’ he screamed. ‘That’s not fair! He cheated! How come he has all his work and I don’t have any?’
God just shrugged and said, PAUSE
Wait for it…..PAUSE
Ask the Rev…
What I’d like to do with this time is respond to some questions, and also give you an idea of what we, myself and the Steering Committee have been thinking regarding Unity of Rehoboth Beach.
So, the questions:
- I had a series of questions from someone who was watching the movie, Moses, Easter Sunday. Did God really put every first born son to death? Was that just a fear thing put in by man?Keep in mind, God didn’t do it. God is only and ALL good. Humans do many things in the name of God when it is really fear that is the motivation.All the plagues issued “By God” through Moses, were they really thoughts help in mind, they produce after their kind. Every time Pharaoh cursed Moses and the Israelites, it came back to haunt him.And, the plagues could have been the result of events in nature. Science has been looking at them and they have found some interesting things to counter the written words.
- So, did this really happen? Does it matter? The lesson was served by the story. And who are the stories written for? The Israelites. The Hebrew Bible is a way of telling them about their history, about how they got there. Not unlike many of the other culture’s stories.The important thing is we have an opportunity to learn from the history and lessons brought forth in the stories.
- It seems the God was more physically present in those days; ex. Burning bush.We often don’t ‘see’ the miracles in our everyday lives. And we don’t attribute Spirit talking to us in the messages we receive, and yet, there they are. Everyday miracles. Messages from music, friends, nature…we might want to be more PRESENT so we can experience the messages from Spirit and experience the miracles.
- Why were the Israelites the “chosen ones?”
These stories are written for the Israelites, so, of course THEY are the chosen ones. In other cultures, when you look at their stories, they are the ones who are the chosen ones. The stories are written for those particular people.
- How can we be successful with our affirmations when we don’t feel it when we say it?When we say affirmations, especially when we find one that really resonates with us, if we repeat them we are rewiring our brain. We may not believe that affirmation on a physical level at the time, but we rewire our brain and eventually, we CAN believe it.Just think about our co-founder Myrtle Fillmore. She talked to her body and cells, sending healing love and affirmed her health and wholeness, eventually recovering from TB.
- So, it behooves us to say the affirmations, to even write our own for the things we wish to work on, and we can see a difference, and even FEEL a difference.
- How does one hold onto a spiritual outlook when there is a betrayal from a loved one?It’s interesting, not long after I read this question as I was preparing for today, I came across a video from Oprah discussing this with Marianne Williamson. Oprah was asking the question, apparently she had been betrayed by someone and seemed very hurt and taken aback by it.Marianne Williamson simply said, pray for them. She said to every day for 30 days, pray for the one who betrayed you. Your choice.
- Or maybe you just have to change your relationship with them, knowing that, just maybe they are not on the same vibration as you and you are now aware of that, and so, can protect yourself from any harm they may try to send your way.
- Maye you will have to distance yourself from the person. Sometimes, even when we have forgiven someone, we no longer wish or need to be associated with them. Different energies…
- And I agree, pray for them. But also, I would say, pray from yourself, to forgive. What you do beyond that would then be up to you. You may ask to talk with the person about what happened. Maybe there was some sort of misunderstanding.
- Here’s a question I came across that I have had asked before. It was asked of Deepak Chopra –Question: Is it better to try to rid yourself of ego, or to work on transforming ego into just another part of our being?Response: Trying to get rid of your ego doesn’t work, because the only part of you that can try to do something is your ego, and anything it tries to do only exercises and strengthens itself. As consciousness become self-aware, or wakes up, it knows its true self as unchanging. It loses the sense of separation, and fear. That feeling of separation is the seed of the ego, and as that dissipates through self-realization, the ego is automatically transformed.Looking to the future –
- The Steering Committee and I have been discussing what we would like to see in the future. But we also want to know what you would like to see in the future.
- That said, it may not be feasible to do what every single person wants to see. But we do want to hear what you would like.
- For example, I was approached shortly after we started our Sunday Celebration Service back in August, about doing the Peace Song and having our circle. It was something that I wanted to do also, but I also wanted to make sure the congregation was ready to do the Peace Song as it is done in many Unity Centers and churches.
Eventually, we felt we were ready to try it and we worked it in.
Another example is some people enjoy hugs & handshakes, and some do not. Some think more music is needed.
We each have things that we would like to see from our experiences in other Unity services.
Each suggestion will be considered and see if it would fit into the service we are trying to put together.
- Many, many years ago I took a Unity class called The 4-T. It was regarding tithing, and abundance—I’m sure you’ve heard of it. I was wondering if we could have something like that in the future. I would even be willing to facilitate since all the info is in a book and easy to follow. It made a huge difference in my life and I made great friends during that time.We wish to provide classes along with the Sunday Celebration Service to enhance and facilitate your Spiritual Growth. So, I would hope you will let me know of any suggestions or ideas for classes.Please use the yellow card to indicate your interest in a Prosperity class or to list your suggestions.Keep in mind we do have two classes on-going now that the Thursday evening class has resumed. The other is Tuesday afternoons. More information about them can be found at the metaphysical food for thought website listed on your insert.
- We are also looking into a membership process. We will let you know more about that as we finalize the process.
Again, it would be helpful if you would indicate on your yellow card if that would interest you.
- A question was asked about having service outside sometime. I think that is a great idea and we will look into the logistics of that. Not sure how feasible it is but we’ll check it out.
- Another question about placing Prayer Request before the congregation was asked. That gets into privacy issues. While I was at Unity of Frederick, we did place first names into prayer during the meditation. At Unity of Harrisburg, we prayed over the requests. Let me think about how we could handle this.
- Please keep in mind that transparency is very important to our integrity as a Spiritual entity. I have asked the Steering Committee to keep that in mind in all dealings with you and with myself. And I ask you to do the same.
It is very important to come directly to me or the Committee if there is anything that you wish to convey to us. Just because we are a Spiritual Community, I am not so naive as to believe that we are perfect. Our humanist can show at any time if we let egos get in the way.
So, talk with me about anything that concerns you. Please.
I have seen how a church community can be torn apart with triangulation and discontent.
And, I also know that we are all looking for the spiritual community that feeds us. I pray Unity of Rehoboth Beach is that place for you. But if it is not, please know that I hope you do find that place, because it is so very important to each and every one of us to find that peace beyond all understanding.